Posted by chefjosephine
Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese Spoons are made by crisping ground Parmigiano Reggiano® cheese in silicone spoon molds in the microwave. Once you have made the Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese Spoons, you can fill them with a small amount of fresh goat cheese or mascarpone and top them with a choice of toppings, from a small piece of Prosciutto di Parma® or salami, to a dollop of fig compote, or a luxurious piece of fresh truffle. Serve these Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese Spoons at the start of your next dinner party or serve them as a cheese course with that last glass of wine before you have dessert.
Silicone spoon molds are available from Amazon.com as a 12-spoon mold, which may be too big for your microwave but you can cut the mold in two. The molds are usually sold as chocolate spoon molds. Make sure the mold is made of silicone. Do NOT use the clear plastic molds commonly used for candy making as they will melt in the microwave.
Prep Time - 15 min | Cooking Time - 5 min
1. Carefully fill the spoon molds with the finely ground Parmigiano Reggiano cheese. Make sure to distribute the cheese evenly.
2. Microwave on high for 40 to 60 seconds, depending on the wattage of your microwave. You may have to experiment a little to get the timing right, and cooking times may vary depending on the age and moisture content of the cheese.
3. Let the spoons cool completely before removing them from the mold to reduce the chance of breaking them.
4. Fill the cooled spoons the Mascarpone cheese or with fresh goat cheese and a topping just before serving them.
5. The spoons, without toppings, will keep for several days in an airtight container.
• Prosciutto di Parma, Speck or other dry-cured meats, thinly sliced
• Fig compote, or good dark cherry jam
• Olive slices
• Truffle slices or pieces
• Black caviar
• Small pieces of smoked salmon
• Small pieces of sushi-grade raw tuna
Variation: If you can’t find the molds, you can make simple cheese crisps by heaping teaspoon-size mounds of grated Parmigiano Reggiano on parchment and microwaving them as directed. Remove the hot crisps from the parchment. They will spread out a little bit. Let them cool on a baker’s rack and top them as directed in the recipe.