Posted by Parmesan.com
Parmesan Cheese Straws are savory spritz cookies made with Parmigiano Reggiano® cheese. Make them ahead and refrigerate or freeze them right on your baking tray, then bake them frozen. The secret to the best spritz cookies is good butter and plenty of freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano. It is also important to let the cookies firm up in the refrigerator for at least two hours before baking.
If possible, use pastry flour (not self-rising) for a tender crumbly cookie structure. If pastry flour is unavailable, all-purpose flour will do. Sprinkle the cookies with extra grated Parmigiano Reggiano before baking for extra crunch. If you do not like cayenne pepper, just omit it from the recipe. You can vary the flavor of these Parmesan Cheese Straws by adding some very finely chopped rosemary to the dough. Parmesan Cheese Straws will keep for a day or two in an airtight container, but they are addictive so you may have to hide them!
You will need a cookie press with a star-shaped disk for this recipe.
Prep Time - 1 hour | Cooking Time - 20 min
1. In the bowl of a mixer, beat the butter until soft and creamy. Add the egg yolks and cream and beat at medium speed until well combined.
2. Mix the flour, 1¼ cups Parmigiano Reggiano and all the seasonings in a bowl. Add to the mixer and beat on medium speed until the dough is smooth.
3. Transfer the dough to the cookie press and pipe long straws onto an ungreased baking sheet. Sprinkle with the remaining Parmigiano Reggiano.
4. Refrigerate the baking sheet for 2 hours or freeze until you are ready to bake.
5. Preheat the oven to 325° F. Bake the straws for 20 minutes (25 if from frozen), turning the baking sheet once, until golden brown.
6. Remove from baking sheet after baking and let cool on a baker’s rack. Store in an airtight container until serving.