Posted by Parmesan.com
Chicken Parmesan is a healthy dish, but you can cut even more calories with this healthy chicken Parmesan recipe. Instead of whole eggs, this version of healthy chicken Parmesan uses egg whites and it also uses part-skim Mozzarella. Healthy chicken Parmesan is baked in the oven for a crisp breaded chicken without the oil needed for frying. You can vary this healthy chicken Parmesan recipe by adding ½ teaspoon of dried thyme or oregano to the breadcrumb and Parmigiano Reggiano® cheese mixture. Sticking a few slices of Italian pepperoncini (peppers) on top of the Mozzarella before this chicken Parmesan is baked adds an unexpected kick to the dish.
You probably won’t have any leftovers because this healthy chicken Parmesan is so delicious, but if you do, it makes a great sandwich or topping for pizza. And all you need to turn this recipe for healthy chicken Parmesan into a complete dinner is a big salad and a hungry family.
Prep Time - 30 min | Cooking Time - 20 min
1. Preheat the oven to 425° F. Grease a baking sheet and set aside.
2. One by one, flatten the chicken breasts by putting them in a 1-quart zipper bag and pounding them with a mallet or rolling pin.
3. In a bowl beat the egg whites and cornstarch with some salt and pepper until frothy. Mix the breadcrumbs and Parmigiano Reggiano in a shallow dish. Dip both sides of each chicken breast in the egg mixture and then in the breadcrumbs, pressing down so they adhere in an even layer.
4. Put the prepared chicken in a single layer on the greased baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes until golden and crisp.
5. In the meantime heat up the tomato sauce and cook your spaghetti according to package directions.
6. When ready to serve, spoon about ¼ cup of tomato sauce over each chicken breast, top with a generous helping of Mozzarella, and return to the oven for the cheese to melt and the chicken to finish cooking, about five minutes more.
7. Serve on a bed of spaghetti mixed with the remaining tomato sauce. Variation: For a colorful vegetable-rich version of healthy baked chicken Parmesan, replace the spaghetti with our zinguini recipe.