Posted by Parmesan.com
Chicken Parmesan tops the list of favorite comfort foods, and for all of its variations, this chicken Parmesan recipe is the classic preparation. It features tender boneless chicken pieces that are breaded and pan fried, and then baked with tomato sauce, Mozzarella and Parmigiano Reggiano® cheese and served on a bed of spaghetti with more sauce. This recipe for chicken Parmesan keeps the meat front-and-center using only a dollop of tomato sauce.
You can easily make this recipe into a casserole by using more tomato sauce. You can also adapt this and other chicken Parmesan recipes by using seasoned breadcrumbs, or by using store-bought tomato sauce to replace our suggested Simple Tomato Sauce. Regardless of how you make it, serve chicken Parmesan with a green salad for a complete dinner and remember that chicken Parmesan always makes a delicious sandwich filling.
Prep Time - 30 min | Cooking Time - 30 min
1. Preheat oven to 375° F.
2. Using a mallet or rolling pin, flatten each chicken breast to a thickness of ⅜- inch. This is best done by putting each piece of chicken between two sheets of plastic wrap or in a one-quart zipper storage bag and pounding lightly.
3. Line up three shallow dishes, the first with flour, the second with beaten eggs, and the third with breadcrumbs. Season the flour generously with 1 teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of pepper.
4. Dredge both sides of each chicken breast in the flour, making sure each side is covered. Shake off the excess. Next, dip each breast in the egg and then in the breadcrumbs, pressing down to make sure the breadcrumbs stick. Place the breaded chicken breasts side-by-side on a baking sheet and refrigerate until ready to fry.
5. Pour ¼-inch of olive oil in a heavy skillet and heat until hot but not smoking. Carefully fry each chicken breast until golden on both sides, about three minutes per side. Do not crowd the pan or the chicken will not brown. The chicken will finish cooking in the oven.
6. On a baking sheet or in a shallow casserole dish, spread a thin layer of tomato sauce and lay the chicken on top. Spoon ¼ to 1/3 cup of the tomato sauce over each chicken breast. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the Mozzarella, followed by two tablespoons of Parmigiano Reggiano. Bake the chicken for 15 to 20 minutes, until cooked through and the cheese has melted.
7. While the chicken is baking, cook the spaghetti according to package directions. Drain and toss with the remaining tomato sauce and Parmigiano Reggiano. Make a bed of spaghetti on a large serving platter and arrange the chicken on top. Serve immediately.